08 February 2012

Day # 9

Ciao everyone!

Sorry for the late post, but I had a wonderfully filled day. I'm usually grumpy about long days, but today was an exception. I had class first, which was nothing to report on, and then I met up with my friend Mr. Marine to meet his friend, Ms. Moon. Mr. Marine mentioned to me one class that his friend Ms. Moon's boyfriend was also deploying with Mr. Bear! I don't have anyone in the area to talk to about the deployment who's going through the same thing, so I was dying to meet her!

Ms. Moon ended up being a complete delight! It was so refreshing to talk to someone who wasn't completely consumed with how horrible this deployment is. Don't get me wrong, this deployment is difficult, and this blog is helping me deal with it. But I have a life outside of my husband. I am not dysfunctional just because he's gone. Ms. Moon was on the complete same page with that and so many other things. We ended up talking for hours! What a lovely person! I am definitely going to be seeing more of her. 

When I got home, I was not entirely enthusiastic about working out, I'll be honest. But I started this 30-day work out, so I gotta finish it! Below is today's work out:


The workout consists of ten exercises. They don't have formal names so I just made up names for them. You can check out what they actually are on the video:

  1. In-between knees sand-bag grab
  2. Foot-to-shoulder lift (L)
  3. Foot-to-shoulder lift (R)
  4. Lift, squat, press (L)
  5. Lift, squat, press (R)
  6. One-foot burpee with push-up (L)
  7. One-foot burpee with push-up (R)
  8. knee-to-elbow push-ups (50 seconds)
  9. mountain climbers (50 seconds)
  10. starfish (50 seconds)
For exercises 1-5 you need a sandbag. I don't have a sandbag, so I took a small backpack and filled it with books until it weighed 12 pounds. I was really excited because when I finished the video I felt really encouraged. In fact, when Mr. Bear texted me, I told him I was going to go exercise and that I would be done in about 15 minutes. This turned out to be false. You see, when I watched the video again to write down all of the exercises (I watch the videos twice, once to see how the exercises are done and once to write down what I have to do), I heard the critical piece of information that turned today's workout from pleasantly easy, to ohmygodthatwasterrible hard...

This workout is a pyramid. Which means that in order to complete the whole workout, you have to do 10 reps of each exercise. But that's just ONE set. You need to go through all 10 exercises again, this time only doing 9 reps of each. Then go through again doing 8 reps...all the way until you get down to 1 rep.

I really should have read the description better...it is called the 300-Rep Challenge, after all.

Anyways, the workout took a LOT more than 15 minutes...and it was a LOT more difficult than I first imagined. But, I feel awesome after completing it!

I'm really full for some reason, so I didn't want to drink a protein smoothie so I am just going to snack on some juice, cucumbers, and rice cakes.

Deployment Update: I have some great care package ideas that I am going to try to work on this weekend if I have time. I'm super excited to make my Valentine's Day one! Mr. Bear and I aren't usually too big on Valentine's Day, but when we're apart it's fun to celebrate every holiday, like Arbor Day (April 27!)!

Here's to great friends, healthy living, and feeling great!

How are you all doing with the 30-day challenge?

Adios,

Ms. Bear

1 comment: